Striped Little Boy Blue Ribbed Baby Hat

Mar 2, 2013


pattern: Little Boy Blue Hat, by Tonya Wagner  
yarn: Baby Bee Sweet Delight Baby (Hobby Lobby brand) in light blue and brown (64 yards total)  
needles: size US 7 / 4.5mm 16" circs and dpns

I love a simple baby hat, and adding in some stripes just sweetens the deal for me. So when the Harry Potter group I'm part of on Ravelry challenged us all to partner up and alter a pattern, my partner and I chose to make baby hats, and we both decided to add different types of stripes.

Originally, this hat was going to be sent (with a similar pink/brown one) to my friend with the newborn twins. But after their first batch of hats turned out so perfectly, I didn't feel they needed another batch of stripey hats for their collection.

This hat then has become the first in a pile of hats I will be making for a local hospital's maternity ward. Creighton Medical Center sees folks from some of the more marginalized parts of town - who better to give hats to than to little babies being born into potentially difficult situations?!

Baby hats are a great way to start donating hats, by the way. Not a whole lot of time commitment, you can use your scraps, and babies aren't all that picky ... whatever you make to keep them warm they'll love! It's a fun way to test out new patterns, pick up crochet (if you only knit), or even make a little pom if you've never done that. And I've never come across a hospital staffer that doesn't squeal with delight at the thought of putting teeny handmade hats on baby heads!

I love making Santa hats in December, candy corn hats for Halloween, and even little Easter egg hats in the spring! Solid colors, stripes, brights and pastels -- any hat you make will be used and loved by both baby and parents!

Post a Comment

Instagram