Twisting Cables in Turquoise

Mar 7, 2013


pattern: Twisting Cables, by Sarah Sacco (Ravelry link)
yarn: I Love This Yarn! in turquoise (146 yards)  
needles: size US 8 / 5.0mm 16" circs and dpns

A young woman named Molly is currently in residence at UNMC’s hospital down the street from my home. She was born with Hirschprung’s disease, a rare congenital disorder. The long and short of it is that, at 24 years old, she needs four organs to live. A liver, a pancreas, a kidney, and a small intestine, and all from a type 0-negative donor.

She and I share a mutual friend - Rebecca Woolf of Girl’s Gone Child. When Rebecca shared Molly’s story, I offered the one thing I know how to do -- to make a hat for her. Something simple, yet something soothing, to comfort her as she waits for a transplant.

Her story is crazy and strange, and breaks my heart. A young woman who has tried to live her life as normal as possible despite circumstances. A young woman who has been fed through a tube since November and is in an isolation room. A young woman who may not even be able to wear the hat I made her until she can miraculously receive her transplant.

Nonetheless, I made her a hat. Something small and simple. Something that won’t change her world, but reminds her that folks know of her story and are wishing her miracles.

Post a Comment

Instagram