Norby

Jul 27, 2013




pattern: Norby, by Gudrun Johnston  
yarn: Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Solids (122 yards, 75% of the skein)  
needles: US 9 / 5.5 mm 16" circulars and dpns

This is not my first time knitting Norby, nor will it be my last. I love how easily adaptable this pattern is to different fibers and yarn weights -- the pattern is written for DK weight wool, and I've consistently knit it up using worsted weight acrylic with fabulous results!

This Norby hat is a well-belated gift for a co-worker, who asked me to make her one far too many months ago. It kept getting pushed back on the queue, and finally I just stopped everything else I was doing so I could make it, and write down my mods in the process.

Because I used a thicker weight yarn, I had to make several modifications. I cast on just 77 stitches, increasing every 7th stitch rather than every 11th. I also only knit two full repeats of the pattern before beginning the decreases, which still gave a nicely slouchy hat.

When this pattern is knit up with the correct weight yarn it has several more ribbed chevron sections before the decreases, but I like that having so few doesn't upset the pattern or the look of the hat in any way.

The best part of this pattern is the speed with which it can be knit. I both started and finished this Norby in the same day, from casting on to weaving in ends. A hat this quick is perfect for charity knitting, and the pattern is easy to remember once you get going!

My only complaint about this pattern would be the price -- at $6.50 it seems a hefty sum to pay for a simple hat pattern. Now that I've worked with it a few times I know I'll use it again and again, and have no problem recommending it to you, but be aware of the price before you click over to buy.

Post a Comment

Instagram