Introducing The Simple Slouch Knit-Along

Feb 16, 2015

During my time as a hat knitter, I've had regular requests from folks just starting out with knitting, or just starting out with knitting hats, to explain specific techniques to them. Either they've never knit in the round, they don't know what a "long tail cast on" is, they're not sure how to switch to double pointed needles, and a wide variety of other questions.

I've always wanted to start a series where I explain the hat knitting techniques I use regularly (both in my personal hat knitting and in my patterns), but have hesitated for one simple reason: videos. While I can take photos of the knitting stitches, it's always super helpful to also have videos of what's going on, and for a wide variety of reasons, I'm not making knitting videos right now. And so I've always said "someday" and put it off.

And then, last week I realized something. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of knitting videos on You Tube! Why don't I just take advantage of those, rather than re-inventing the wheel, and start helping folks knit more hats and give them away in a fun new way?!

One of my most popular knitting patterns is the Simple Slouch Hat, and with good reason. With sizes from baby through adult, this hat is the perfect starter hat for those new to hat knitting. You only need to know the minimum of knitting techniques to make this hat, which means even if you've never picked up knitting needles before you can make this hat quickly and easily! In fact, this is the hat pattern I use when I teach my "learn to knit" classes!

Over the next few weeks I'll be combining the Simple Slouch hat pattern with the idea of sharing my photos and other folks videos in a fun new series - for those who are interested, we're going to knit the Simple Slouch hat together! This is the perfect chance for those of you who don't know how to knit in the round to learn; it's the perfect time for a first-time knitter to make their first hat; and it's definitely just the right time for the seasoned knitter to make a simple hat (or two!) for charity!

I'll be sharing everything from how to cast on (using the long tail method), to the knit stitch and how to decrease, all the way to binding off a hat and weaving in the ends. The instructions will be divided up amongst a few posts over the next few weeks, so those of you who are new to any of these techniques will have plenty of time to practice!

On Wednesday we'll begin gathering our supplies, so be sure to ask any questions you may have in the comments, and don't forget to hashtag your projects #simpleslouchKAL on Instagram!

1 comment :

  1. This looks amazing Robyn, what a great idea to curate and share your tips and tricks through the already existing youtube videos! Katie. X

    ReplyDelete

Instagram